GiGi’s Playhouse delivers program that are educational, therapeutic, physical, vocational, and empowering for individuals with Down syndrome at every age and life stage. They help parents overcome the Down syndrome diagnosis, and support their child in achieving success in education, well-being, fitness, social and life skills throughout their lives. All programs are FREE. Their mission is to change the way the world sees Down syndrome through national campaigns, educational programs, and by empowering individuals with Down syndrome, their families and the community. Their vision is to see a world where individuals with Down syndrome are accepted and embraced in their families, schools and community.
- Commitment: Commitment varies by program.
- Program Leader: The Program Leader plays an integral role within GiGi’s Playhouse Programs – to facilitate skill development activities and connect with families. It is preferred that the Program Leader has advanced education and/or training in developmental therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, behavioral therapy, social work, special education, speech-language therapy, music, dance, art or a related field.
- Program Volunteers: This person will assist the program lead, and the number of volunteers depends on the size and type of program. Program volunteers just need a general knowledge of Down syndrome (which you can gain at the volunteer orientation)!
- Literacy and Math Tutors: This is an exciting opportunity to help those with Down syndrome learn to read or do math skills! The time commitment per week is 1 hour plus prep time. We ask our tutors to commit to one session (10 weeks). You will work directly with the family of the child you are tutoring to determine when you will meet for your session each week.
- Commitment: Varied-These can either be 1x week, 1x month or on an as needed basis.
- Clean Team: Come in at least once a month on a Saturday afternoon to clean toys, organize and decorate. This is a great opportunity for youth groups, businesses etc.
- Computer/Tech/Media: Hook up the copier/printer and come in as needed for computer assistance
- Marketing/PR: Contacting media for events, help write press releases, create flyers and brochures.
- E-mails/HTML: Someone who has some knowledge of constant contact/graphic design and HTML who can help edit our weekly e-mails
- Writers: for blog, grant writers etc.
- Fundraisers: Research and meet with individuals/organizations who would like to sponsor or donate to GiGi’s Playhouse Madison
For tutoring you must be at least 16 years old with a parent, and GiGi's Playhouse will need to run a background check on the parent. To tutor alone, you must be at least 18 years old.